Sunday, June 21, 2015

Pouring Rain and Sunny Skies


After my first night of eight hours of sleep in several days, I woke up this morning feeling very refreshed. My roommate was still asleep, so I quietly got ready and left at 9:30 AM to walk with Shanti to breakfast. Breakfast at the dining hall is well organized and even if there are a lot of students there, there is always a place to eat.

Grassy space
We met up with Frank, who is a friend of Thao's. Stephen arrived as well, and after breakfast we walked to a grassy area to throw around a frisbee. We were joined with other students and everyone enjoyed throwing for about forty minutes after breakfast.



At 11:40 AM everyone on our floor of South Balch building met up for a "Scavenger Hunt." It wasn't really a scavenger hunt at all, we just walked to the Engineering Quad and played a name game, then walked back to the grassy area at Balch. At Balch we played a game where there was a grid drawn out on the ground with 25 boxes (5 x 5) and we had to figure out the correct way through. Each person would start and we were told if they got 0, 1, 2, etc. steps right before they messed up. Our path wasn't too difficult and we found the right path in about five minutes.
We were supposed to be doing this Scavenger Hunt for two hours, but after the puzzle game it was 1:00 PM and no one had had lunch, and since the dining hall closed at 2:00 PM they let us go get lunch instead. I didn't mind, and no one else did either, because the Scavenger Hunt didn't help us with navigating the campus or locating my class, so lunch was more important to our group.
Balch Courtyard
After lunch it started pouring rain. I loved it. My roommate and I kept our window open during the rain and listened to it come pouring down.
The puddles drying up quickly. 
During the downpour I also did my first load of laundry at Cornell with Julie. It wasn't very complicated and it took about an hour to complete.

After dinner, there was an activities sign up in the main room of Donlon Hall. I signed up for soccer and ultimate frisbee. Soccer is on Tuesdays from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM and ultimate frisbee is on Thursdays from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. I also put my email on a list for the running club so I can learn about trails to run on, but I like to run in the morning and they run in the afternoon so I don't think I'm going to run with them.
Balch Courtyard


1 comment:

  1. I love that there is frisbee interest and a frisbee activity!!! Keep the spirit circle alive, Helen!

    ReplyDelete